Saturday, March 14, 2015

Day 18: school

Today in am thankful for school. And I don't mean learning (although I am thankful for that as well), but school. School that forces me to complete assignments which I have no interest in. School which requires me to learn about things I would not be inclined to, but end up enjoying. School which chooses my books for me (and makes pleasure reading at once less enticing and more enjoyable) School which, in choosing books, occasionally presents me with a book I find surprisingly wonderful, when expecting it to be rather mundane. 

Such books are a follows:
Celebration of Discipline. Richard J. Foster {absolutely one of my all time favorites. Read most of it in one night due to time shortages. Due for a reread very, very soon}
What is the World is God doing?. C. Gordon Olson {currently reading, so I can't give a full commendation. Easy to read, and dare I say exciting?}
The Importance of Being Earnest. Oscar Wilde {a play. Hysterically funny. I watched a movie version just for the fun of it}
The Scarlet Pimpernel. Baroness Emma Orczy {novel. Think Batman crossed with Hogan's Heroes. Unfortunately, I had to speed read this one. Deserves to be read more leisurely (I don't actually know if leisurely is the right word, you might have trouble putting this one down)}

Basically, school forces me out of my comfort zone mentally and academically, and that's just counting class. I may not always like it or be particularly happy about what it's forcing me to do...but it's definitely worth it. Wow. Some of you may realize it was a big deal for me to say that...I started out as a rather reluctant collegiate. And while I sometimes revert back to reluctance, school is something I will be thankful for nonetheless. 

What required reading have you found surprisingly enjoyable? 
What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment